Translate

Monday 22 October 2012

Susan shall go to the ball....

We (Cuffe & Taylor) kindly received a Black Tie invite to the The Mayoress of Wigans annual Charity Ball, as guests of Wigan and Leisure Culture Trust last week.


Delicious Daniel Craig sporting Black Tie

 After the initial feeling of appreciation faded, I was faced with every woman’s nightmare….”Oh my Lord; what shall I wear?”

So as I worked out the amount of time I had to spend on my outfit, it dawned on me that I had hours, as opposed to days – weeks being my preferred option!!!

I had a few emergency options to fall back on – but I knew I was going to have to be creative with what was in my existing wardrobe, as I did not have the luxury of time to do an emergency shop or what is realistically known as an ‘impulse buy’!!!

So just to be sure that my emergency options were in with a chance of being suitable, I checked with Debrett.


The Infamous Debrett logo

Debrett's is the modern authority on all matters etiquette, taste and achievement, and have led the way for the past two centuries.

According to Debrett – “The dress code for an evening occasion will usually be specified as white tie, black tie or, less frequently, lounge suits.
White tie is the most glamorous and formal of eveningwear, and is usually reserved for official functions such as state banquets and ambassadorial functions. Ladies would usually be expected to wear a ball gown.
Black tie can be used to describe formal evening dress generally, but it requires a black dinner suit with a white dress shirt and black bow tie. For ladies, a cocktail dress - long or short is appropriate.
For ladies, a smart dress - such as a cocktail dress - is appropriate. It can be long or short, as long as it's not too short. It need not be black.” (Phew!! – this was exactly what I wanted to read!)

Thankfully my creativity, lack of time, and reference to Debrett all paid off, and I didn’t stick out like a sore thumb, the ladies were all dressed in an even mix of ball gown and cocktail attire. Result!!

I do think it is so much easier for men when it comes to adhereing to Dress code - but despite Black trouser suits / tuxedos being pretty much the same, it is the bow tie that sets them apart. True to form - Mr Peter Taylor - aka @upnorthpromoter is never willing to be outdone, and proudly wore a hot fuscia pink and purple number.

Note to self – always be on the lookout for an emergency dress, just in case this happens again!!

1 comment: